So Microsoft have called an end to support for Windows XP and Office 2003 next year, April the 8th to be exact. So all those schools that are for some reasons running Windows XP it’s time to update to Windows 8.1 or even Windows 7.
If you have bought your licenses outright may I suggest you take a look at the Microsoft School Agreement. Its a good way to keep your school up to date with the latest software at no additional cost.
Check out the XP support site for info about the End of XP .
Every now and then you might see a user log on to a computer with a temporary profile and deleting the users via:
This is the best way recommended by a quick internet search but even after a doing this and restarting the computer you can sometimes still get the “Temporary Profile” message when the user next logs on. This is sometimes due to some information being left over in the registry about the user. I find that 99% of the time checking the registry and removing anything to do with the users profile in question sorts the problem:
So please try the following steps to see if it helps:
Your user should now be able to logon and not suffer from the temporary profile issue. If you want to reset the offline files check out this post.
Internet Explorer 10 is now live and kicking for Windows 7 users… If you want to make sure your users are getting the latest technology from Microsoft (Other browsers are available) then you will need to make sure you have the following 4 updates already installed on your clients or being pushed out from your WSUS.
So far I have no complaints about IE 10 it does what I want it to in fact it does rendering and loading of pages a lot quicker than IE 9… You will also need to make sure SP1 is installed on your Windows 7 Machine.
One day I was plodding along happily running WSUS on my server and then the next day bang I couldn’t for the life of me connect to the server via the management console. I double checked the Windows Internal Database and found that it wouldn’t start… something funky had happened during the last round of updates and hotfixes id applied the evening before…
Windows Update is a must for me I need it and no matter what I tried I couldn’t get the thing to work. Days of searching and looking through forums and other TechNet sites I failed. But some how I have managed to get it up and running again. So if your interested keep reading this (what I can only imaging will be a long post) and I will list the steps I took to get it back up and running. A quick note -
Windows Internal Server needs to be removed:
Run following command:
Next you need to carry out some registry edits and delete some files to…
I would recommend a full registry backup/export before starting…
Delete the following Directories and Registry keys:
Delete the following from IIS:
Rename the following folders:
Download WSUS 3.0 Sp2:
Run the setup:
WebException: The request failed with the error message:
<h2>Object moved to <a href=”%2fmicrosoftupdate%2fv6%2ferrorinformation.aspx%3ferror%3d15″>here</a>.</h2>
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object parameters)
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.InternetGetServerAuthConfig(ServerSyncProxy proxy, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
at Microsoft.UpdateServices.ServerSync.ServerSyncLib.Authenticate(AuthorizationManager authorizationManager, Boolean checkExpiration, ServerSyncProxy proxy, Cookie cookie, WebServiceCommunicationHelper webServiceHelper)
Download a hotfix for the WSUS
Points of interest.
Hope this helps.
Just a quick tip. If you are running out of space on your update server. Run the clean up wizard and follow the onscreen wizard. Delete any unused or surpassed updates. This can delete GB of data from your server. If your worried about new clients missing the old updates dont worry! From what I have seen the server will download the needed updates again for computers that are missing the updates. I run the clean up wizard once every two months.
Windows Update is used all the time at work. It saves me time and energy. Sometimes though it needs a little help. Below are some commands I use to help me sort out the problems. The first two of these commands need to be run from the command prompt “Action 3″ should just be run via the run box.
Forces the client to contact the update server to check for updates.
wuauclt /r /Reportnow
Forces the client to report and updated status to the update server. It may take a couple of minutes to make its way to the server so you will need to go make a cup of coffee?
I’ve only used this a few times. But the log file is a good place to look for any errors that may be happening. Use it to scan for the update server to make sure the client is talking to the right server.
Hope this helps
Short and to the point 6 short cuts that can help speed up Windows 8 navigation:
I find the first two the most useful.
Part of the Windows 8 testing going on at work is to test out the latest offering from Microsoft Office 2013. So far it has been working great in both Windows 8 and 7 environments with only one glitch being reported so far for Excel.
Bug Reported – Excel hangs when loading password protected work books.
When a client attempts to load an Excel that has been password protected the splash screen loads and appears to hang indefinitely.
Every now and then the update from SIMs.net just doesn’t install on the client computers in the class room even after making sure that the user has the required permissions and access. In some cases the best thing to do is just load up the SIMs Setup directory on the problematic computers explorer and run the file “simsapplicationsetup.exe” this has fixed the problem for me 9 times out of 10.